So, in practicing for writing, I've started trying to pick apart movies according to the beats determined by Blake Snyder in his book Save the Cat. Today I watched 28 Days starring Sandra Bullock. And here are the beats of that movie, according to me.
1. Opening Image - Sandra drunk
2. Theme Stated - "You make it impossible to love you."
3. Set-up - Sandra is drunk at her sister's wedding
4. Catalyst - Sandra enters rehab
5. Debate - Sandra doesn't believe she has a problem
6. Break into Two - Sandra makes the choice of rehab over prison and acknowledges she has a problem
7. B Story - Viggo Mortensen
8. Fun and Games - Sandra gets to know the people in her rehab group
9. Midpoint - Proposal
10. Bad Guys Close In - Temptations, confrontation with sister, refusal to fully accept consequences of addiction
11. All is Lost - Boyfriend fights with friend, roommate dies
12. Dark Night of the Soul - can't talk to counselor, can't talk to sister, can't talk to friend
13. Break into Three - Sister comes and tells her she makes it impossible not to love her
14. Finale - Sandra breaks up with boyfriend/lifts the leg of the horse
15. Final Image - In the floral shop buying a plant and runs into a member of her rehab group
What do you think? Did you come up with different beat points?