Monday, August 4, 2014
Movie Review: Authors Anonymous
From IMDb: When a dysfunctional group of unpublished writers accept Hannah into their fold, the last thing they expect is her overnight success. Can these lovable misfits achieve their artistic dreams and avoid killing one another in the process?
Let's beat it out!
1. Opening Image: The married couple who started the writing group are on a couch being interviewed.
2. Theme Stated: All for one and one for all.
3. Set-up: Each member of the group is interviewed and asked about their writing.
4. Catalyst: Hannah joins the writing group.
5. Debate: What the writers are focused on.
6. Break into Two: Hannah gets an agent.
7. B Story: Henry wants to ask Hannah out.
8. Fun and Games: Hannah gets a book deal.
9. Midpoint: Writing group at Hannah's house.
10. Bad Guys Close In: Hannah gets a movie deal.
11. All is Lost: The group starts to fall apart.
12. Dark Night of the Soul: Everyone is at odds with everyone else.
13. Break into Three: The group completely breaks up.
14. Finale: Henry says goodbye to Hannah and gets published
15: Final Image: Hannah declares that Henry is her favorite author.
Other interesting things: Hannah's theme is 'no distractions', and it isn't until Henry becomes undistracted by Hannah that he writes his novel, which could also be a theme for the movie since everyone else gets distracted and remains unsuccessful while Hannah and Henry get published when they are not distracted. The girl in the bar that appears halfway through the movie is in the closing scene, indicating Henry has found someone who really fits for him.