Monday, September 8, 2014

A Girl Named Shake

Today's writing prompt: Write about a girl named Shake. So, here I go. Here are Alison's and Sabrina's.

  "Daphne Cooler?"
  "Here," answered the blonde girl one aisle over and two seats in front of me. She looked kind of nice, but a little too sure of herself as she wrapped her hair around one of her fingers and blew a bubble with her gum.
  "Bobby Dunkin?" The teacher looked annoyed to be calling names. Her brown hair was pulled into a tight ponytail, and one of her long fingernails tapped the board with very syllable as she called the names. I wondered briefly if she enjoyed her job, and if not, why she was doing it.
  "Yo." I glanced at the kid behind me. Shaved head, red patch. He bobbed his nose in the air at me, as if to say, "Sup."
  "Shake Hium?" Titters of laughter flew around the room.
  "It's Shaké, and I'm here," I replied.
  The teacher stared blankly at me for a moment, then continued. "Ahem. Jasper Lemmon?"
  "No way, dude." Bobby poked me in the back. "Your name is Shake?"
  "No," I muttered over my shoulder. "It's Shaké."
  The blond mohawked kid next to me with the tiger tattoo on the shaved part of his scalp and four piercings in the ear on the other side turned and faced me, even sliding his legs around into the aisle. "I like Shake better. I mean, like, Shake Rattle and Roll, right?"
  I blinked. As if I hadn't heard it all before. In every single class.
  Bobby huffed. "Not at all, man. That ditty is sooo old. Get with the times and Shake your booty!" My eyebrows rose, but I didn't turn around.
  The kid next to me smiled. "That's a good one. But I got a better one. 'Shake me up, shake me down, shake me anywhere you want to, baby.'" This was going to get out of hand, quickly. I glanced around the room and spied an empty chair on the aisle farthest away.
  "Eric Weller?"
  "That's me!" the blond mohawk kid said, then turned back to me. I avoided eye contact, but he wasn't deterred. "So, how about it. 'Your the cutest thing that I ever did see. I really love your peaches, want to shake your tree.'"
  "Dude, I totally call first dibs on any tree shaking," Bobby piped up, poking me in the back again.
  "All right, class. Please pull out your math books and turn to page 5. We'll be working on...."

Photo from here
 

3 comments:

  1. This is so good, brings back all those horrible high school memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My maiden name is Frohlich. Guess how many people pronounce that correctly?
    This was a fun, quick excerpt from someone's life. I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ulch, I am creeped out by those boys, which means you did a really good job.

    *shivers* Good job.

    ReplyDelete