Friday, September 19, 2014

A Sign

One of my friends tagged this photo on Pinterest and I thought it would make a great ten minute prompt. Mostly, I'm excited to see what my fellow writers have to say. Here are Sabrina's and Alison's.

I studied the sign, my face within the shadows of my dark cloak. Someone knocked my shoulder and I pulled the shadows closer around me, rendering me unnoticeable.
  I glanced once more at the little coffee shop. Thousands of happy customers. Hum. I doubted that. Thousands of anything in this town was a bit extreme, unless mites or graves were the topic of conversation. But one creepy dude.
  A movement on the road caught my eye and I glanced up. A bit of brown whipped behind a dirty yellow taxi. I moved closer to the wall and huddled against it, waiting.
  A stream of shoe clad feet traipsed by on the brick sidewalk. I studied each one. Short, cutoff jeans with fraying edges, florescent pink tanks, blue suits with white shirts and red ties, a skateboard, a--ah, there it was. A dash of brown. A glimpse of bare feet with yellowed toenails.
  I counted to seven, then seven again, and once more. On exactly the third seventh count, I spun and grabbed the shadow of the tall man walking by, using both my hands, knowing he would struggle. The wrist twisted in my hands, jumping between shadow gray and tawny brown.
  "Relax, Tyron," I muttered. Then I yanked and threw the shadow into the wall next to me. His head smacked against the mudded stone and the shadows that had covered him fled, leaving him clearly visible, his dirty brown feet showing under his bark brown cloak. The hood of the cloak fell back and I studied the mud streaks on his face, the tired bags under his eyes, the way the whites of his eyes had turned yellow. A drop of spit slid out of his mouth and down his chin.
  I shook my head, then sent my breath to the dot on his right temple. He blinked, then glared at me. "What do you want, Synder?" he rasped. "How did you find me?"
  I lifted my eyebrows and jerked my head to indicate the sign. "One creepy dude. Looks like I'm not the only one who's noticed you lurking around."
 

3 comments:

  1. Ahhh!!! I LOVE it, Leah. Love love love. The sign was used so well, and the characters have depth in a few paragraphs. And the shadows and cloaks? TELL ME MORE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you get all that into such a short space and from that little sign?!?!? Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want more of this. Can we have more of this, please? *begs*

    ReplyDelete