Monday, September 22, 2014

Book Review: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

You have probably all read this already. If you haven't, I would recommend it. The story is great, but the voice is FANTASTIC.

From Goodreads: Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

Opening Scene: Support Group
Theme: Living our best lives today
Inciting Event: Meeting Agustus
First Act: Hazel Grace set-up
First Plot Point: Augustus gives her his wish for Amsterdam
Second Act--first half: Hazel is a grenade
Midpoint: Arriving in Amsterdam
Second Act--second half: Van Houten and Gus's illness
Third Plot Point: Augustus in the hospital
Third Act: Gus's death, Hazel's decline
Climax:
Final Scene: Gus's Eulogy for Hazel

I could read this book all over again just for the dialogue--internal and external. It's it so AWESOME.
  We could hear everything through the dear. "Are they here, Peter?" a woman asked.
  "There are--Lidewij, there are two adolescent apparitions outside the door."
  "Apparitions?" she asked with a pleasant Dutch lilt.
  Van Houten answered in a rush. "Phantasms specters ghouls visitants post-terrestrials apparitions, Lidewij. How can someone pursuing a postgraduate degree in American literature display such abominable English-language skills?"
  "Peter, those are no post-terrestrials...."

Or:
  Augustus Waters turned to me. "Literally," he said.
  "Literally?" I asked.
  "We are literally in the heart of Jesus," he said. "I thought we were in a church basement, but we are literally in the heart of Jesus."
  "Someone should tell Jesus," I said. "I mean, it's gotta be dangerous, storing children with cancer in your heart."
  "I would tell Him myself," Augustus said, "but unfortunately I am literally stuck inside of His heart, so He won't be able to hear me."

The whole book is like this. It's witty and true and sad and funny and heart-wrenchingly good. If you've debated reading it, read it. Even though it is popular. Even though there is a movie (which I haven't seen yet). Even though....  Read it. Then let me know what you think!

1 comment:

  1. I loved it too ;-) You should also check out Life on the Refrigerator Door by Alice Kuipers.

    ReplyDelete