Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Written on the Sky

Today's ten minute writing prompt is the song Written on the Sky by Max Richter. Please play the song as you read and let me know what you think. You may need to read slowly. After you're done, check out Deb's, Alison's and Sabrina's--they're worth the visit!

Once upon a time I had hope,
a hope that brightened each day like the sun,
that washed over me like pure ocean waves,
and warmed me like a fire.

Once, I flew through the clouds,
lighter than air;
everything I touched turned to gold,
and the scent of blooming flowers filled the land.

My heart had never been so secure,
so whole,
so full,
like a being all its own that knew only happiness.

My smile was once large and sweet,
honest and pure,
full of delight
and joy.

But then hope died.
And love fled.
My heart has holes
and I no longer smile.

Everything around me is brown.
It is empty,
and malicious.
The scent is foul,
the air sad;
the earth mourns.

I see the clouds,
my heart beats,
my lips occasionally curve.
But my lips only curve down,
my heart has broken,
and I walk on the hard ground.

There is no sun,
no pure ocean wave,
no warm fire.

The only fire left is cold and blue,
like ice water one is forced to swim in,
under the light of the moon.
 

3 comments:

  1. Ooo, it matches perfectly. I didn't feel all those subtle changes in the music until I read this with it. Well done, you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, I didn't notice that either! awesome and well played you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it great how even poetry can be so different? The imagery of the sun and the ground is perfect. He/she drops from the floating sky to the cold hard ground. The last image is great, too. of swimming in ice water under the moon. And I'm drowning in grief. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete