Monday, May 23, 2016

Choosing Your Genre

A few weeks ago I receive an email from a publisher of clean and wholesome romance who said she loved my writing and is trying to get approval to add another romance writer to her line-up. I'm her top choice.

Which is great, because I have at least four more romance novels swimming around in my head, some plotted, one partly written.

BUT. I've also written a darker YA with hints of Sci-fi. It's received a partial request for an agent at a very reputable house. And five agents from the last writing conference I went to read the first page of my fantasy and loved it.

So, you can see I may have some difficulty. Most of the prompts I responded to last year and the year before came out fantasy. But I don't know that I could write a whole book of fantasy and have it be interesting. It would be easiest to write romance, since I know someone loves it and wants to publish it and I know how to do it and a writer can make a lot of money at it.

Some authors will say it's uber important to pick your genre and stick with it. Others say to write what you want.

I'm going to go with the second and, even if I never publish in a genre I've written, it will count as practice. And I'm good with practice. Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment